Texas is RICH in Historic Places to Visit...
FM 167, Acton TX 76049
Burial Site and Statue of Davy Crockett's 2nd wife, Elizabeth Crockett.
300 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205
The most famous historical site in Texas began as Mission San Antonio de Valero in 1724. It is one of 5 Colonial Spanish Missions in the area (the other 4 make up San Antonio Missions National Historical Park). The Spanish converted the mission to a military post around 1800, and it became known as the Alamo, named for "The Alamo Company" a group of soldiers assigned here from 1803 to 1835. The first hospital in Texas was a military hospital here. But the event most people associate with the Alamo occurred on March 6, 1836 when 1,800 Mexican forces led by General Antonio López de Santa Anna defeated the approximately 200 Texian Alamo defenders led by William Barret Travis during the fight for Texas Independence. The thirteen-day siege sparked the battle cry "Remember the Alamo!".
37084 Alibates Road, Potter County TX 79036
The Clovis Mammoth Hunters prized this area for its Alibates flint as early as 9500 BC! The Folsom people followed in this tradition to build tools for hunting bison. Others followed for thousands of years, drawn to this area for the Alibates flint until the late 1800s. Today, you can visit the park to see petroglyphs created by the Antelope Creek people who lived here until 1400 AD.
1224 Bowie Street, Columbus TX 78934
Built in 1836 by Abraham Alley as a replacement to his home that was burned during the Runaway Scrape. Alley was one of Stephen F Austin's original Old 300 settlers. His log cabin is a standing example of Texas Colonial architecture.
1601 NASA Parkway, Houston TX 77058
The first word spoken from the moon was broadcast by astronaut Neil Armstrong on July 20, 1969: "Houston"! A visit to NASA's Johnson Space Center at Space Center Houston offers not only a very interesting look into the history of space exploration, but an opportunity to see the Historic Mission Control Center where NASA engineers monitored 9 Gemini and all Apollo lunar missions. Historic Mission Control appears today just as it did during the 1960s.
3523 Independence Parkway South, La Porte TX 77571
Commissioned in 1914, the USS Texas is the last remaining battleship that participated both in World War I AND World War II. She was the first US battleship to be mounted with anti-aircraft guns, and was one of the first ships in the US Navy to be equipped with radar.
1402 Broadway, Galveston TX 77550
Built between 1887 and 1892, by Civil War veteran and railroad entrepreneur Colonel Walter Gresham and his wife Josephine, the home was later sold to the Catholic Church and became home to the Bishop for several years. (Hence the name, the Bishop's Palace.) The home's combination of exotic materials, complex roof system, irregularly shaped stone and arches with carvings make it a unique structure for the time. It has been recognized as one of the 100 most important buildings in America by the American Institute of Architects. It survived the Great Storm of 1900.
411 North Upper Broadway Street, Corpus Christi TX 78401
Built in 1849 by shipping entrepreneur Forbes Britton, this home is the oldest building in Corpus Christi still standing at its original location. Originally constructed to house commercial businesses on the first floor and a residence on the second floor, the home was used as a hospital by both the Confederate and Union armies during the Civil War. The restored home gives a glimpse into the life of a wealthy local family in the 19th century.
3816 Caroline Street, Houston TX 77004
Dedicating to telling the story of the Buffalo Soldiers from the Revolutionary War to present day.
1800 Congress Avenue, Austin TX 78701
A MUST VISIT museum for anyone interested in Texas history! Three stories of interactive exhibits in basic chronological order that tell the story of Texas from the early days of Native American settlements to Texas' role in space exploration.Read about our visit to the Bullock Museum!
1649 State Highway 21 West, Alto TX 75925
Settlement Site for Caddo Indians dating to approximately 800 AD.
6540 US Highway 271 North, Tyler TX 75702
Site of the largest Confederate Prisoner of War Camp west of the Mississippi River. It operated between 1863 and 1865. The park features an interpretive walking trail and a reconstruction of Lieutenant Colonel JB Leake's cabin.
12424 Camp Hearne 3rd Street, Hearne TX 77859
During World War II, from 1943 until 1946, Camp Hearne served as home for 5,000 German Prisoners of War. They were joined by a few hundred Japanese Prisoners of War for a brief period in 1945. This camp served as the Central Post Office for all German Prisoners of War throughout the United States between March 1944 and July 1945. A museum is located inside a reconstructed Barrack. The remains of several structures can be seen via walking or driving trails.
285 Camp Verde Road East, Camp Verde TX 78010
Originally established in 1857 to provide goods and postal services to the soldiers stationed at Camp Verde, the current building was constructed after the original structure was destroyed by flood in 1900. Camp Verde participated in the US Army's camel experiment. The first shipment of camels arrived here from Egypt in 1856 along with four drivers/handlers. By 1865, there were more than 100 camels at Camp Verde. Though the camels proved that they could carry more weight and travel longer distances than horses or mules, the project ended during Reconstruction when funds were needed elsewhere. Fort Camp Verde was destroyed by fire in 1910, but the General Store survived and continues to operate today as a store and restaurant.
228 South Laredo Street, San Antonio TX 78207
1850s Home of José Antonio Navarro, one of only two Native Texans to sign the Texas Declaration of Independence.
915 Zaragoza Street, Laredo TX 78040
Constructed by Don Jose Reyes Ortiz between 1829 and 1830 on a land grant from the King of Spain, Casa Ortiz is built in the Spanish Colonial style. Ortiz was a rancher and businessman who also served as a mediator between Texas and Mexico. His home overlooks the Rio Grande River.
1738 FM 2705, Mexia TX 76667
Reunion Site of Confederate Civil War Soldiers and their families from 1889 to 1946.
411 Elm Street, Dallas TX 75202
The 1901 building that became home to the Texas School Book Depository Company, a textbook distribution business, in 1963 became etched in history in November of that year when President John F Kennedy was shot while passing through Dealey Plaza. Sniper evidence was found on the 6th floor of the Book Depository building which now houses this museum. Dating to the 1840s, Dealey Plaza is also considered the birthplace of Dallas.
A hike on El Camino Real is a walk in the footsteps and wagon tracks of peoples dating back several centuries. The original Spanish Colonial Royal Highway ran from Louisiana through East Texas, Central Texas, the Hill Country, South Texas and down to Mexico City. Parts of this historic trail are publicly available via historic parks across Texas.
This Spanish Colonial Royal Highway originally extended from Santa Fe, New Mexico thru Far West Texas and down to Mexico City. Parts of this historic trail are publicly available via historic parks in Far West Texas.
Mission Valley Visitors Center: 9065 Alameda Avenue, El Paso TX 79907
Explore three Colonial Spanish Missions, the earliest of which dates back to 1682! Ysleta Mission is the oldest continuously active parish in Texas. Another information center, Los Portales Museum and Information Center sits next to the San Elizario Presidio Chapel.
609 South Lamar Avenue, Denison TX 75021
Birthplace of our 34th US President, Dwight David "Ike" Eisenhower, born here in 1890.
1121 First Avenue, Dallas TX 75210
Home of the Texas State Fair since 1886, Fair Park is home to a large number of Art Deco buildings constructed here between 1905 and 1936. The World's Fair commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the Republic of Texas was held here in 1936. Today, as home to the Texas State Fair, the Cotton Bowl Stadium, and museums, Fair Park is the only intact and unaltered pre-1950s world fair site in the US. Walking tours are available.
734 FM 2506, Fannin TX 77960
Site of the 1836 Battle of Coleto Creek during the Texas War for Independence, where Colonel James Fannin surrendered to Mexican forces.
579 South Main Street, Anderson TX 77830
Henry Fanthorp received permission to settle here in 1832 as part of Stephen F Austin's original colony. He was appointed postmaster by the provisional government of Texas in 1835. The Fanthorp Inn represents what life was like in 1850 at a Texas stagecoach stop and family home.
1424 Barnes Bridge Road, Mesquite TX 75150
Constructed by David and Julia Florence in 1871, the home was expanded during the 1890s. The home, which was built by family, friends, and local help, is considered to be a nice example of rural Texas architecture in the late 19th century.
135 Belknap Circle, Newcastle TX 76372
Opened in 1851 to provide frontier defense to North Texas, Fort Belknap became a hub for the Butterfield Overland Mail Route, the first transcontinental mail system that carried mail between St Louis, Missouri and San Francisco, California from 1858 until 1861. Even though the fort ceased operations in 1867, a few of the buildings have been restored to tell the story of a frontier outpost.
651 Fort Chadbourne, Bronte TX 76933
Another frontier outpost which served as a stop on the Butterfield Stage Route and Butterfield Overland Mail Route, Fort Chadbourne was established here in 1852. After the fort was decommissioned, Thomas and Lucinda Odom bought the land in 1877 for $500 in gold. Their family continues to live on the Chadbourne Ranch and have led the preservation and restoration efforts of Fort Chadbourne. Today the fort features several restored buildings, a visitor center, museum, and research library.
On US Highway 90 in Brackettville, Texas
Established in 1852, Fort Clark operated as a US Military fort for almost 100 years! During its years of service, Fort Clark functioned as an infantry and calvary post, supply depot, and hospital. During World War II, it served as a calvary training post and German POW sub camp. Today, Fort Clark Springs is home to a resort community with many of the historic buildings still in use.
RV Camping is Available!
630 South Oakes Street, San Angelo TX 76903
Established here in 1867, Fort Concho served as the headquarters for the Buffalo Soldiers of the 10th Calvary. Twenty-three buildings of this frontier post have been restored including the headquarters, hospital, barracks and officer's quarters. Fort Concho regularly hosts reenactments and other heritage events.
703 Buchanan Drive, Burnet TX 78611
Built in 1849 as one of the first four US posts to protect the western frontier, Fort Croghan now represents life in a frontier town. Exhibits include a one-room school house, stage coach shop, blacksmith shop and museum.
101 Lt Flipper Dr, Fort Davis TX 79734
Named for Secretary of War Jefferson Davis, Fort Davis protected West Texas from 1854 until 1891. Today it is considered to be one of the best remaining examples of a frontier military post.
310 Bliss Street, Eagle Pass TX 78852
888.355.3224 or 830.773.3224
Established here in the mid 1800s to monitor El Camino Real and secure roads to Fort Inge and Fort McIntosh. The site now includes seven original buildings that have been restored.
1701 North US Highway 283, Albany TX 76430
Built to Protect the Southern Plains, Fort Griffin operated from 1867 to 1881.
RV Camping is Available!
629 Fort Lancaster Road, Sheffield TX 79781
The Ruins of an 1850s Post that provided escorts during westward expansion; it was once home to Military Camels!
On the Western edge of Big Bend Ranch State Park, 4 Miles Southeast of Presidio TX on FM 170
The location of an adobe trading post built by Ben Leaton and Juana Pedrasa in 1848. It was the only outpost of its kind within hundreds of miles and served as an important trade stop along the US/Mexico border. Today Fort Leaton is the Western Visitor Center for Big Bend Ranch State Park.
1606 East Main Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624
Fort Martin Scott was the first US military post established on Texas' western frontier. It was established here in 1848 as Camp Houston. It was renamed in 1849 for Major Martin Scott who was killed at the Battle of Molina Del Ray. The fort provided protection for settlers and travelers as folks moved westward. Some of the original 21 buildings have been restored.
204 West Spruce Street, Mason TX 76856
Established here in 1851, Fort Mason was the last post that Robert E Lee commanded in the US Army. Today, a reproduction of the Officers' Quarters houses a museum.
7066 FM 864, Fort McKavett TX 76841
One of the Best Preserved Examples of a Military Post from the Texas Indian Wars of 1850-1875. One of the first Buffalo Soldiers to earn the Medal of Honor, Sargeant Emmanuel Stance, was stationed here.
10818 FM 600, Abilene TX 79601
A US Army post from 1851 until 1854, Fort Phantom Hill later served as a stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route, a rest station for the Goodnight-Loving cattle trail, and a camp for the Confederate Frontier Battalion. The town of Fort Phantom Hill grew to a population of 545 in 1880, but severe weather and challenging living conditions caused it to be abandoned before the turn of the century. Most of the buildings were destroyed by fire in the mid 1800s, but chimneys of those structures and the stone buildings remain.
228 State Park Road 61, Jacksboro TX 76458
Established here during Reconstruction in 1867 as the northern point of a line of federal forts, Fort Richardson was named after General Israel Richardson who died in the Battle of Antietam. It's primary purpose was to keep the peace, pursue criminals and control the native Plains Indians.
RV Camping is Available!
1 South Ringgold Street, Rio Grande City TX 78582
Following the US-Mexican War, Fort Ringgold was established here in 1848 as one of a series of military posts along the Rio Grande River. The fort changed sides several times during the Civil War as the Confederate and Union forces each tried to control the region. The permanent buildings here today were built just after the Civil War. Military leaders Robert E Lee and John J Pershing spent some time here during the fort's 96 years of active service. The Rio Grande Independent School District has owned the property since 1949. The campus is available for driving or walking tours.
3898 Stanley Road, Building 1046, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio TX 78234
Originally constructed during the 1870s, Fort Sam Houston was San Antonio's first permanent US military base. Continuing its service today, Fort Sam Houston is home to the Fort Sam Houston Museum which is located inside the 1905 mess hall and the US Army Medical Department Museum, the only Army medical museum in the US.
130 East Exchange Avenue, Fort Worth TX 76164
Initially built in 1887 to support the millions of cattle passing through Fort Worth on cattle drives and by railroad, the Fort Worth Stockyards reached their peak in 1944 before the growth of the trucking industry directed much of the livestock business away from large, centralized stockyards. Several of the original buildings have been restored including the 1902 Livestock Exchange Building (known in its day as "the Wall Street of the West") and the 1907 Cowtown Coliseum (home of the first indoor rodeo). While you're here, visit the Stockyards Museum and take in the world's only twice-daily cattle drive!
317 Fulton Beach Road, Rockport TX 78382
Built in the 1870s, the Fulton Mansion was the only house in the area to be built with central heating, gas lighting and indoor plumbing.
3433 FM 2843, Florence TX 76527
Considered one of the most important sites in the United States for learning about the Clovis people dating back almost 14,000 years. Some of the oldest art in the Americas has been discovered here. Guided tours of this archeological research site are scheduled through the Williamson Museum in Georgetown (512.943.1670) and the Bell County Museum in Belton (254.933.5243).
1 Mile South of Goliad TX on US Highway 183. Next to Presidio La Bahia.
Ignacio Zaragoza was born here in 1829 in the same year the town changed its name to Goliad. He went on to lead his Mexican troops to a victory over a Napolean Bonaparte army double its size at Puebla on May 5, 1862. Cinco de Mayo honors that victory.Read about our visit to General Ignacio Zaragoza's Birthplace!
1412 West Ohio Avenue, Midland TX 79701
The home of the Bush family from 1951 until 1955, the home has been restored and furnished to appear as it would have during that time period.
108 Park Road 6, Goliad TX 77963
361.645.3405 or 512.389.8900 for reservations
Home to Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga, a Spanish Mission established in 1722 and moved here in 1749. The first major Texas cattle drive began here.RV Camping is Available!Read about our visit to Goliad State Park and Historic Site!
705 South Main Street, Grapevine TX 76051
Connecting two historic districts, the Grapevine Vintage Railroad runs between Historic Downtown Grapevine and the Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District. Visitors ride in an authentic 1920s Victorian coach car pulled by either a steam locomotive built in 1896 or a 1953 diesel locomotive. The steam engine, "Puffy", is said to be the oldest continuously operating steam engine in the South.
2300 North Highway 35, Port Lavaca TX 77979
Built in 1858 on twenty-five foot long iron piles IN Matagorda Bay. The Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse was completely surrounded by water, but survived every major hurricane to hit the area until it was severely damaged by a storm in 1942. The restored lighthouse now sits on land and houses a museum.
434 South Alamo Street, San Antonio TX 78205
Home of the 1968 World's Fair which celebrated San Antonio's 250th Anniversary (the city was founded in 1718), this site welcomed six million visitors from more than 30 countries and secured San Antonio's reputation as a top city for tourism. Today, Hemisfair Park is home to several museums and the iconic Tower of the Americas, the 622-foot tall observation tower built for the World's Fair. The park is accessible via the famed River Walk.
301 East 3rd Street, Fort Stockton TX 79735
Established in 1858 as a frontier post, the site was selected for its proximity to Comanche Springs and its abundant water supply. Of the 35 original buildings, 4 remain: the Guard House and 3 of the Officers' Quarters. Two Enlisted Men's Barracks and Kitchens have been reconstructed based on the original blueprints. Historic Fort Stockton includes a museum and visitor center.
6900 Hueco Tanks Road #1, El Paso TX 79938
A State Archeological Landmark, Hueco Tanks is named for its unique hollows in the rock (known as "huecos"). These huecos collect rainfall and have made the area a gathering place for wildlife and people for thousands of years. Here you can see pictographs left by ancient inhabitants dating back 10,000 years!
RV Camping is Available!
Highway 90 West Loop 25, Langtry TX 78871
Now part of a Texas Department of Transportation Rest Stop, the Judge Roy Bean Visitor Center offers a look into the life of saloon owner and Justice of the Peace, Roy Bean. Known as "the Law West of the Pecos", Bean set up his saloon/courtroom here along the railroad right-of-way in the late 1800s to service the railroad workers. Today you can visit the Jersey Lilly (saloon/courthouse) and the opera house Judge Roy Bean built in honor of his favorite singer, Lillian Langtry.
Visitor Center: Highway 141 West, Kingsville TX 78364
Museum: 405 North 6th Street, Kingsville TX 78363
The original land that started the King Ranch was a Mexican land grant known as Rincon de Santa Gertrudis. It was purchased by Steamboat Captain Richard King and his partner Gideon Lewis in 1853 and the King Ranch was born. Over the years, the King Ranch has become known as an innovative leader in ranching and agriculture. Still a working ranch, today visitors can take a guided tour to learn more about the Ranch's heritage and daily operations, participate in nature tours to view wildlife and learn more about conservation efforts, and visit the King Ranch Museum.
402 East Florence Street, Castroville TX 78009
Beginning in the 1850s, this property has served as an inn, store and mill for travelers through the Alsatian community of Castroville.
7234 FM 521, Brazoria TX 77422
An example of an Antebellum Plantation built during Reconstruction. The Levi Jordan Plantation is currently under development, and open to the public on a limited basis.
Near Lake Corpus Christi State Park, East of Orange Grove TX
The site of a Spanish presido dating to the early 1700s, and a wooden fort built here in 1831 by Mexico. This was also a camping area inhabited by the Lipan Apache Indians. Hundreds of artifacts have been discovered here, but all that remains is a historical marker.
2401 Landmark Drive, Lubbock TX 79415
This is the only archeological site in North America that has a complete record of almost 12,000 years of human history! Today you can walk several miles of interpretive trails and visit a museum.
100 Ladybird Lane, Johnson City TX 78636
The home of our 36th President, Lyndon Baines Johnson. This park includes the LBJ Ranch, his 1920s Boyhood Home, the Johnson Family's 1860s Settlement, President Johnson's classic car collection, Johnson's schoolhouse built in 1910, and the Texas White House. It is said that this park offers "the most complete picture of any American president".
Directly across the Pedernales River from the LBJ Ranch section of the LBJ National Historical Park on Park Road 52, 2 Miles East of Stonewall TX
The LBJ State Park includes interactive exhibits about the local area as it would have been while President Johnson was growing up here, as well as memorabilia from his presidency. Also included in the park boundaries are two mid-19th century cabins and the Sauer-Beckmann Farmstead, a 1918 living history farm.
1120 Magoffin Avenue, El Paso TX 79901
This 1870s home was built by Civil War Veteran, Joseph Magoffin and his wife Octavia. They became leaders in the development of El Paso.
701 South Broadway Street, San Augustine TX 75972
Site of a Spanish Mission built in 1721. El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail passes through the property.
RV Camping is Available!
Just West of Goliad, Texas
Mission Nuestra Señora del Rosario was built here as part of the Spanish Colonial presence in 1754. It shared in cattle ranching with its sister mission, Mission Espiritu Santo (now part of Goliad State Park and Historic Site). Unlike Mission Espiritu Santo, Mission Rosario has not been reconstructed and is currently an archeological research site. Entry is by appointment only.
120 State Park Road 44, Grapeland TX 75844
Built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934, a representation of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas, the very first Spanish Mission in East Texas is here. Mission Tejas was established near this location in 1690. This park also contains a hikable section of El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail and one of the oldest structures in this area, the 1828 Rice Family Log Home which served as a resting point for travelers.
RV Camping is Available!
414 State Loop 92, La Grange TX 78945
Two very different historical sites share this area. Monument Hill is the final resting place of men who were killed in the Dawson Massacre (in 1842) and the Black Bean Death Lottery (in 1843) during the fight for Texas Independence. Their remains were entombed here in a public funeral in 1848.
German immigrant Heinrich Kreische arrived here in 1849. He built his family home and brewery here, and became a community leader. His brewery would become the third largest in Texas in 1879. Mr Kreische maintained the tomb at Monument Hill throughout his life here as his way of honoring the men who fought for Texas Independence.
2618 Broadway, Galveston TX 77550
Completed in 1895, this 28,000 foot mansion survived the Great Storm of 1900 that changed the course of Galveston's history. Cotton mogul WL Moody Jr and his wife bought the home shortly after the storm, and it served as the Moody family home until 1986. The home is furnished with period furniture that belonged to the Moody family.
1680 Texas Highway 236, Moody TX 76557
Noah and Isabella Neff moved here in 1852. Their youngest son, Pat Neff, became the governor of Texas. While the Neff family lived on this property, they would allow neighbors and community groups to picnic and camp without payment. The family later donated its land to the State of Texas to be used as a public park. Named for Isabella Neff, Mother Neff State Park is Texas' very first State Park! The park facilities were constructed by the CCC and officially opened to the public in 1937.
RV Camping is Available!
340 East Main Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624
The Nimitz Hotel was built here in 1852 by one of the first settlers of Fredericksburg, Charles Nimitz who was also the grandfather of Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz. The restored hotel became the Fleet Admiral Chester W Nimitz Museum in 1968. Today it is the only US museum dedicated to the story of the Pacific and Asiatic Theaters of WWII.
866 Park Road 35, Groesbeck TX 76642
This is the original site of Parker's Fort, built by the Parker Family in 1833 it offers a view into the life of 19th Century Texas Settlers. It was here in 1836 that Cynthia Ann Parker and several other fort residents were captured by a group of Comanche Indians in 1836. Cynthia Ann Parker became the wife of Chief Peta Nacona and was the mother of Quanah Parker, the last great Warrior Chief of the Comanches. She was recaptured by the Texas Rangers in 1860, but is said not to have adjusted well back into Anglo life, longing to return home to her Comanche family. This replica of Parker's Fort was constructed in 1936 in honor of the Texas Centennial, and became known as Old Fort Parker. It sits near Fort Parker State Park.
RV Camping is Available!
12 miles East of Brownsville, Texas on Texas Highway 4
The site of the final land battle of the Civil War. The Battle of Palmito Ranch occurred on May 12 and 13, 1865, more than a month after General Lee surrendered at the Appomattox Courthouse in Virginia.
7200 Paredes Line Road, Brownsville TX 78526
956.541.2785 ext 333
The site of the first battle in the two-year long US - Mexican War, the Battle of Palo Alto, took place here on May 8, 1846.
421 East Queen Isabella Boulevard, Port Isabel TX 78578
Built in 1852 to support heavy shipping traffic, the Port Isabel Lighthouse is currently the only lighthouse on the Texas coast open to the public. Prior to construction of the lighthouse, General Zachary Taylor and the US Army established Fort Polk on this site in 1846. During the Civil War, both Confederate and Union troops used this lighthouse for observation. The Visitor's Center is a replica of the original lighthouse keeper's cottage.
1 Mile South of Goliad TX on US Highway 183
The Oldest Fort West of the Mississippi River, Presidio La Bahia was established here by the Spanish in 1749. It was here that Colonel James Fannin and his men were massacred after their surrender at the Battle of Coleto Creek during the War for Texas Independence.Read about our visit to Presidio La Bahia!
Throughout the Texas Panhandle
Have you ever noticed a 22-foot tall steel arrow sticking into the ground? If so, you've happened upon a stop on the Quanah Parker Trail! Named for "last great Warrior Chief of the Comanches", the Arrows mark places of historical significance for Quanah Parker, the Comanche and other Plains Indians. Since 2011, 80 Arrows created by artist Charles A Smith have been installed.
Republic of Texas International Boundary Marker
10 Miles South of Deadwood, Texas on FM 31 at the Louisiana State Line
The only international boundary marker inside the United States, this granite pylon is the last surviving marker which distinguished the border between the Republic of Texas and the United States in the 1840s.
6100 Dowling Road, Port Arthur TX 77640
The Site of an important Civil War Battle in which Confederate Officer "Dick" Dowling and 46 men held off a Union attack of Sabine Pass, capturing two gunboats and 350 prisoners to protect access to inland Texas.
812 South Church Street, Paris TX 75460
This is the 1868 Home of Sam Bell Maxey, Mexican War Veteran, Confederate General and US Senator.
1402 19th Street, Huntsville TX 77340
Located on the homestead site of General Sam Houston, this park includes Sam Houston's Woodland Home which he and his wife Margaret built here in 1848. You'll also find a museum, General Houston's law office and the Steamboat House where Sam Houston lived from 1861 until his death in 1863. His funeral was conducted in this house.
890 West State Highway 56, Bonham TX 75418
The 1916 Home of US Congressman Sam Rayburn who served in office for 48 years. The home still houses his personal furnishings and belongings.
Visitor Center at Mission San José: 6701 San Jose Drive, San Antonio TX 78214
Named a World Heritage Site in 2015, San Antonio Missions National Historical Park is made up of four 18th century Spanish Missions built on the San Antonio River. Along the way you will also find the oldest Spanish irrigation system still in use in the region, the Espada Aqueduct.Read about our visit to San Antonio Missions National Historical Park!
15945 FM 1458, San Felipe TX 77473
The townsite of Stephen F Austin's 1824 colony. San Felipe de Austin served as the first capital of the Texas provisional government.
3523 Independence Parkway South, La Porte TX 77571
It was on this site in 1836 that General Sam Houston's Texian Army of 750 men defeated General Santa Anna's Mexican Army of 1,200 troops. The Texians attacked the Mexican camp yelling "Remember the Alamo" and "Remember Goliad" referring to the recent lack of mercy shown by Santa Anna and his troops weeks earlier. The battle lasted 18 minutes and resulted in 600 Mexican casualties and 9 Texan casualties. After the battle, Santa Anna signed the treaty recognizing Texas' Independence and the Republic of Texas was born! The San Jacinto Monument was dedicated on April 21, 1939. It is the tallest stone column memorial structure in the world (15 feet taller than the Washington Memorial).
100 Seawolf Park Boulevard, Galveston TX 77551
Located on Pelican Island, Seawolf Park is home to the USS Cavalla
(a World War II era submarine) and the USS Stewart (one of three destroyer escorts remaining in the world). You can see the remains of the largest concrete ship ever constructed, the SS Selma, from the park's fishing pier.We hear that RV Camping will be Available soon!
9 Miles West of Comstock, Texas on US Highway 90, just East of the Pecos River Bridge
This park is home to more than 220 pictographs that have a unique style only discovered in this area. These paintings, some of which are hundreds of feet long, are thought to have been created by people who lived here 7,000 years ago. The park is named for a group of Black Seminole scouts who built a wagon road in the Pecos Canyon to provide the military with a shorter connection between Fort Clark and Fort Davis after the Civil War.
RV Camping is Available!
105 Military Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205
This 1749 structure is the last remaining piece of the Presidio San Antonio de Béjar, the Spanish presidio established in 1718 to protect Mission San Antonio de Valero (now known as the Alamo). Until the early 1800s, this was home and office for the captains of the military garrison. Just as Goliad began at Presido La Bahia, San Antonio began here. The name, the Spanish Governor's Palace, was placed on the building by Adina Emilia de Zavala in 1915 when she wrote a newspaper article about the importance of the building and launched a campaign to save it from demolition. Adina Emilia de Zavala was the granddaughter of Lorenzo de Zavala (the first Vice President of the Republic of Texas). She founded the Texas Historical and Landmarks Association in 1912.
5550 Jimmy Simmons Boulevard, Beaumont TX 77705
It was here on January 10, 1901 that the Texas economy was changed forever when an exploratory oil well on nearby Spindletop Hill blew, launching the birth of the Texas oil boom. The discovery brought a boom in population and a spike in property values. The town of Gladys City which was founded in 1892 as what was expected to be a "perfect industrial city" no longer existed by the 1970s, a victim of its own success. Today, you can visit 15 replica buildings to experience what life was like here at the turn of the 20th century during the Spindletop boom.
407 West Travis Street, Marshall TX 75670
This is the Home of Dr James Harper Starr and his wife Harriet. Dr Starr served on the Land Commission under President Sam Houston and as Secretary of the Treasury under President Mirabeau Lamar. Dr Starr and his son, Frank, helped to develop the growth of Texas.
2100 Harborside Drive, Galveston TX 77550
Floating in the water next to the Texas Seaport Museum, you'll find a REAL 1877 tall ship, the Elissa. This is not a replica. The Elissa sailed around the world for more than 90 years as a commercial cargo freighter. Today, she still sails in the Gulf of Mexico and is part of the museum's exhibits. The Elissa is a National Historic Landmark and the Official Tall Ship of Texas. She is one of only three 19th century ships of her kind in the world that continues to sail.
1010 Colorado Street, Austin TX 78701
This is the oldest governor's mansion west of the Mississippi River. It has been home to Texas governors and their families since 1856.
1100 Congress Avenue, Austin TX 78701
Completed in 1888, it took more than 1,000 people to build this red granite structure. It replaced the 1853 limestone Capitol, which replaced the log cabin which served as the Capitol when Austin became the capital of the Republic of Texas in 1839. The Texas State Capitol building stands 14.64 feet taller than the US Capitol building in Washington DC.
909 Navasota Street, Austin TX 78702
The final resting place of honored Texans from Stephen F Austin (the Father of Texas) to Texas Rangers, Texas Governors, Veterans of the Battle for Texas Independence, Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence, and Medal of Honor Recipients among others.
Rusk Depot: Park Road 76, Rusk TX 75785
877.726.7245 or 903.683.3094 day of travel
Palestine Depot: 789 Park Road 70, Palestine TX 75801
877.726.7245 or 903.683.3099 day of travel
The Texas State Railroad was built in 1881 by inmates of the Rusk Penitentiary (the 2nd federal prison in Texas). The rail line was built to support the prison-run iron smelter. It was the Rusk iron operation that supplied iron during the construction of the Texas State Capitol Building in Austin.RV Camping is Available!Read about our ride on the Texas State Railroad!
300-398 Trevino Street, San Ygnacio TX 78067
Considered to be an "exceptional example of Spanish Colonial/Mexican Period architecture, the original one-room rancho was built in 1830 by Jesús Treviño and expanded over four decades. His son in law, Blas Uribe, moved onto the family property in 1848 and helped with the expansion. Uribe is responsible for platting the original townsite of San Ygnacio in 1874. The Rancho remains standing today and restoration efforts are underway.
225 Whites Memorial Park Drive, Anahuac TX 77597
The site of the first formal protest of Texas colonists against Mexico. In response to laws imposed on them by the Mexican government which limited trade and immigration between Texas and the US, Texans met here on June 13, 1832 to draw up resolutions encouraging all Texans to stand up against Mexican tyranny.
2914 North Shoreline Boulevard, Corpus Christi TX 78403
Commissioned in 1943, the USS Lexington is an Essex-class aircraft carrier. The ship participated in almost every major operation in the Pacific during World War II. She later served as a training vessel and was the oldest working carrier in the US Navy when decommissioned in 1991. In 1980, the Lexington was the first US Aircraft Carrier to count women amongst its crew.
1702 North 13th Street, West Columbia TX 77486
Martin Varner took ownership of this land in 1824 as part of Stephen F Austin's land grant. Former Texas Governor James Hogg purchased the land after many of the buildings were destroyed by the 1900 Hurricane that also devastated Galveston.
6220 Steinbeck Bend Drive, Waco TX 76708
"One of the most important paleontological finds in North America": Waco Mammoth National Monument is the only known place to see a nursery herd of Columbian Mammoths dating back 67,000 years! Visitors can experience the Dig Shelter to see the fossils in their original position in the bone bed and learn about the Ice Age.
23400 Park Road 12, Washington TX 77880
The Texas Declaration of Independence was signed here on March 2, 1836. While battles were waging at the Alamo and across other parts of Texas, 59 representatives from municipalities around the territory of Texas met here and worked for 17 days to draft a new Constitution and organize a government. President Sam Houston moved the capital of Texas here from 1842 to 1845. This park features Independence Hall, the Star of the Republic Museum and the Barrington Living History Farm. The Barrington Farm was the home of the last president of the Republic of Texas, Anson Jones, and recreates life on a Brazos Valley Farm in the mid 1800s.